With football playoffs underway, I wanted to try something different to share with friends while watching the NFC playoffs on Saturday. I'd seen this appetizer a couple of different times recently, so I decided to give it a shot.
Basically, pig shots are formed with a slice of sausage wrapped in a piece of bacon on it's edge. This forms a "shot glass" that you then fill with whatever you choose. I used a mixture of cream cheese and green chillies. I applied a spicy BBQ rub and also topped them with brown sugar.
Here are a few pictures of the process:
Here is the stey by step process:
- cut sausage (I used Kielbasa) into 3/8" discs
- wrap 1/2 piece of bacon (on edge) around each disc and secure with a toothpick
- combine 8 oz. block of cream cheese (softened) with 1/2 can of green chillies
- apply bbq rub
- pipe or spoon cream cheese mixture into "shot glasses"
- top with brown sugar
- cook indirect at ~300* for 45-60 minutes or until the bacon is finished to your liking
*Note: I cooked indirect on the Big Green Egg with platesetter in place (wrapped in foil of course)
If I do these again, I think I'd add some grated cheese to the cream cheese mixture and experiment with a different type of sausage, Boudin maybe?
What's on your menu for football playoff season? We all need a killer dish for the big game in a few weeks.